Monday, March 26, 2012

Newport, Oregon: A Haunted Hotel?

Here's one of my Trickster Realm columns for Tim Binnall's site that I wrote a couple of years ago:binnallofamerica.com: Newport, Oregon: A Haunted Hotel?


The Sylvia Beach Hotel in Newport, Oregon is a unique place with an interesting history. The hotel is in the Nye Beach area; which until recently was exceedingly funky and charming. Now they've gone upscale and the looming, out of place, over priced condos and stores are a gloomy statement on things to come. The juxtaposition of old, shambled structures with tall cold modern buildings is typical in many beach towns. That aside, I still love the area and spend a lot of time there.

As I note in the article, I don't think the owners are very open to the possibility the place is haunted. I get the impression they don't have time for such nonsense. But I have felt some very intense and slightly unhappy energy in some spots while visiting. Does the photograph show something of a ghostly nature, or a glitch in the camera? Can't say, but do know this is the spot where things felt very unpleasant.

No comments: