Monday, May 27, 2013

Tonya Hurley: Santa Muerte: My Search for the Bony Lady

On The Huffington Post, from Tonya Hurley on a deity of many names: Lady of Shadows, Holy Girl, Santa Sebastiana, ..
.Tonya Hurley: Santa Muerte: My Search for the Bony Lady (PHOTOS): While in Mexico recently for a book tour, I visited a market in Guadalajara where I encountered a skeletal figure, robed, with long black hair holding a scythe and globe standing in a shop window. A Grim Reapress of sorts, standing shoulder to shoulder with statues of Jesus, St. Jude and The Virgin of Guadalupe. I'd been doing research into the lives of the saints and martyrs for my new young adult book trilogy, "The Blessed," but here was one I'd never come across. Many revered as saints and martyrs were regarded as misfits and people that actively sought death, however, none actually embodied death as far as I'd ever heard.

No comments: